Monday, June 8, 2015

The Myth of Water, Music and Treats for Higher Ratings

There is a thought among drivers that providing water, candy, treats, auxiliary plug, charger plug to riders will improve your ratings and possibly generate tips. 

When I first started driving I tried just about everything except for the Aux plug. My car does not have an input.  My truck was full of water bottles, candy, power bars and that all came to an end when I picked up a rider at a Carnival Cruise terminal in Long Beach and took him to the airport. He gave me a review that said my trunk was too cluttered. 

After a few moments of discouragement I realized that I can not please everybody and I am in this for the money. So I emptied the trunk, except for a few personal items and a fire extinguisher, which I stashed in its corner.

I have a two plug 12 volt USB port for my smart phone and the guest is welcome to plug their cable into the second port to charge up.

As for Music, I find rap music and hip hop a distraction when I drive. I rarely have the radio on during rides and if I get a passenger who requests it, which is seldom, I as them to enjoy it through their phone with ear buds. If there is a problem, I simply explain that the passenger's safety comes first and that I am not driving a party car. If the passenger is interested in getting to his destination safely and efficiently we can continue.

This has not affected my ratings one bit.

Having a conversation with the rider always makes for a more pleasant trip. Learning local knowledge of the sites and sharing tidbits of history about the landmarks in the area has been something that the guests in my car really enjoy and comment about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment