Monday, June 22, 2015

Question of the week: Should I report a ticket for driving and using a cell phone to Uber?

This question was asked in the Facebook Uber Drivers group:

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for using their cell phone while driving for Uber? Should I report it to Uber, fight it, or just pay the fine?


Personally, I wouldn't because I do not think it is Uber's responsibility to pay a driver's ticket if he breaks the law.

The primary mission of Uber is safety and as drivers we should know our local laws.


Phone mounts are not that costly. There is a nice variety of them to mount on windshields, dashes and air conditioning vents. There are also a nice variety of hands free devices that a driver can use with a cellphone.

I personally like the LG hand free blue tooth device that hangs around my neck. It has an easy to access on switch so I can switch from speaker to head set. 


I found this one at: http://www.esurebuy.com/lg-tone-pro-hbs-750-bluetooth-stereo-headset/





Bottom line, I think it is cheaper to invest in a hands free unit than risk getting a ticket.


Some states have fines as low as $25 ticket, but what the news media fails to report is that some municipalities add on fine assessments. I got a ticket about 8 years ago that put me into sticker shock. The city of Long Beach added assessments that took my fine to about $70.

Driving passengers is an awesome responsibility, which many of us may take for granted. We should always place safety first.








No comments:

Post a Comment