Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Dealing with riders who smell dog in your car


I am a dog owner, and have three very lovable canines in my house hold. Sometimes, we have to dive them someplace, like the beach, park or vet. 

I wash my car professionally, inside and out, at least 4 times a week but never the less, every once in a while I get a drunk passenger who smells dog in the car. 

I also keep Fabreeze in the glove box if I have a rider who brings in a smell into my vehicle. After dropping them off, I drive a block or two, pull over and give the back seat a quick spritz. 

When a passenger complains about a smell, I offer to roll down the windows. 

Once I had a rider go on and on about the dog smell after I picked up a rider with a service dog. After that experience that did not go too well I had to think of a way to control future situations.

Instead of going through a lengthy discussion I decided to say the truth. Lyft and Uber have a policy not to deny the transportation of service animals. Apologize for the inconvenience.

Additionally, I tell riders that if they do not like the smell in the car I would be happy to cancel the ride and they are free to request another car.

Cancelling the ride will not reflect on driver ratings, where the rider could give you a 1 star because he did not like the smell of the car.




No comments:

Post a Comment